“North for 150” Youth Art Contest
Fort William Historical Park (FWHP) is excited to launch a regional youth art contest to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday! Northern Ontario’s young artists (ages 5 to 21) are invited to submit new, original art pieces to express their community’s identity and connection to Canada’s culture, history and 150th birthday. Art pieces can be any medium including painting, sculpture, song or dance.
Deadline and Shipping
The deadline to submit your art piece and completed Registration Package is Friday, May 26th, 2017.
The first 100 entries will receive free shipping! You can also drop-off your artwork and completed Registration Package at the FWHP Visitor Centre, open Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For complete contest details download the Registration Package. Make sure to read the entire registration package carefully and complete all the required forms.
Winners will receive the Grand Prize Stay & Play Package which includes:
- $500 Visa Gift Card
- Return transportation for two from your home community to Thunder Bay
- Accommodations at a Thunder Bay hotel for three nights (July 21-23, 2017)
- Admission and attraction passes for two to FWHP’s Karnival on the Kam festival from July 20-23, 2017
- All semi-finalists will receive a Fort William Historical Park Prize Package that includes handcrafted items from our Heritage collection, Fort souvenirs and DVDs
The two winning art pieces will be selected as iconic elements for FWHP’s Canada 150 celebrations. All art submissions will be displayed at FWHP’s Karnival on the Kam festival and will be combined into a travelling exhibition and online showcase. The travelling art exhibit will be available to Northern Ontario communities throughout 2017.
Entries will be judged primarily on their Canada 150 theme. Six semi-finalists and two finalists will be chosen by a panel of local judges.
The six semi-finalists will be selected by region and age category as follows:
- City of Thunder Bay: Ages 5 to 13 and 14 to 21
- Eastern Region – East of Thunder Bay to Wawa: Ages 5 to 13 and 14 to 21
- Western Region – West of Thunder Bay to Patricia Keewatin District: Ages 5 to 13 and 14 to 21
The two finalists will be chosen from the semi-finalists, with one winner from the ages 5 to 13 category and one winner from the ages 14 to 21 category. Each finalist will win the Grand Prize Stay & Play Package.
This project is proudly supported by Ontario150.