Frequently Asked Questions

Fort William Historical Park welcomes visitors from the United States. We are conveniently located just 35 minutes north of the Minnesota/Ontario Pigeon River Border Crossing and we always look forward to showing our American friends great Canadian hospitality.

Crossing the border into Canada is quick and easy and Pigeon River has much shorter waiting times than other border crossing stations along the US/Canada border. Visitors will enjoy the scenic drive down the fabled Highway 61 along Lake Superior.

For information on Passport requirements click HERE.

1. Will there be increased wait times at border crossings?
Due to increased security measures after 911, there may be some short delays at peak periods. Up-to-date information on border wait times is available, 24 hours a day, at:  Canada Online

2. Has the number of customs inspections increased?
In general, visitors should expect increased levels of inspection. In addition and for security measures, the CBSA is assisting the U.S. customs in conducting random inspections on vehicles leaving Canada.

3. Do I need a passport to enter Canada?
To enter you must be able to establish both identity and citizenship. Documents that may establish citizenship are: birth certificate, citizenship certificate, and passport. Under current procedures, all travelers are required to present up-to-date photo-identification with proof of residence.

4. Has Canada changed its identification requirements for entering the country?
Requirements remain unchanged at present. For more information, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Web site at:

5. What can I do to avoid delays at the border?
You must ensure that you are carrying with you the necessary documentation and adequate identification. You can find information on customs requirements and border wait times, 24 hours a day, at:

6. What duties and taxes do I have to pay on imported goods?
To find out the duty rate of an article, contact our Automated Customs Information Service (ACIS). You can access ACIS free of charge throughout Canada by calling: 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside of Canada, you can access ACIS by calling (204) 983-3500 or (506) 636-5064. Long distance charges will apply.
You can also consult the Customs Tariff for more information.

7. Can I bring pets across the border?
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency offers basic guidelines for frequently imported pets.

8. Can I import food or dairy products into Canada?
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency provides information on import requirements for dairy and other food products.

9. What documents do I need to visit Canada?
Click here on Citizenship and Immigration Canada's Web site to find out what documentation you may need to visit Canada.

10. Where can I find information for foreign students, workers, or travellers entering Canada?
For information on visiting, studying, or working in Canada, visit:

11. Where can I find information about moving to Canada?
You can find out about Immigrating to Canada on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Web site. The CBSA provides important information about moving back to Canada or settling in Canada.

12. What can I bring back to Canada after visiting abroad?
Personal exemptions vary according to where you have travelled and the length of your visit. The publication I Declare contains general information about returning to Canada after a trip abroad.

13. Where can I learn about importing vehicles into Canada?
Transport Canada's Road Safety Guide has Information On Importing Vehicles from the United States and other countries.

14. What is the procedure for importing goods by mail?
Check out our publication Importing Non-Commercial Goods by Mail to find out what you can import by mail, if you have to pay duties or taxes, and how mail is processed by customs.

15. How does the Visitor Rebate Program work?
Non-resident visitors to Canada can claim refunds for some of the taxes they paid on short-term accommodation, the federal Goods and Services Tax and Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST), as well as provincial sales tax in the province of Quebec (TVQ). Non-resident visitors can also claim a refund for tax paid on most goods they take home. Check out the Visitor Rebate Program (Canada Revenue Agency Web site).

16. Can I bring firearms into Canada?
For more information about bringing firearms into Canada, visit Canada Online, Click here.

Entry into Canada for Foreign Nationals with Criminal Convictions or Equivalent
As of June 28, 2002, the implementation of the new Immigration and Refugee Protection Act changed the rules affecting the admissibility into Canada of foreign nationals who have criminal convictions in Canada or abroad or who have committed criminal acts outside Canada. These include offences that are considered criminal in Canada, such as driving while under the influence of a substance such as alcohol (DUI), even if the offence was not considered a felony or criminal offence in the country where it was committed. For more information about these important changes, download this Fact Sheet.

For information on U.S. Customs and Border Protection click here.